Saturday, September 13, 2008

Outsourcing/Seduction

I do not know how I really feel about outsourcing. A few years back, the company my mother worked for moved to India. She was informed that if she wanted to keep her job, she would have to move to India too, however her salary would be doubled for moving. Her personal choice was to quit her job. The primary reason the company moved to India is that they could get workers over there for a cheaper rate. My mother was somewhat a victim to outsourcing, since her company probably figured most of its workers would not move to India and most likely would quit. Only one of her co-workers actually agreed to move to India, however he was from India and all his family lived there. After reading the sections of outsourcing, I do not know if I am totally against it. Many of the statistics about people losing their jobs to outsourcing are rather unclear since the book clearly states that many jobs are also lost due to technological advances. The benefits companies reap from outsourcing are also helpful. They save money in one particular field to spend it in another. The book also states that not only is the United States outsourcing, so we too benefit from outsourcing. I think outsourcing is a little bit of give and take, but it appears to be benefitting us all.

Jay Heinrichs is brilliant in Thank You for Arguing. I especially like the section titled “How to Seduce a Cop”. The section on seduction shows how powerful of a tool it can be in arguments by sometimes even being seduced without even knowing it and seducing a cop out of writing you a ticket. I also enjoyed how he distinguished the difference between a fight and argument. I guess I do not argue a lot, but fight. I enjoy in this textbook how he presents his arguments making them applicable for everyone.

1 comment:

Al said...

Her co-worker got extremely lucky...
Double the salary for relocating?
I would have been tempted to move, but I don't think I would either. It's not hard to find Texans relocating to the coasts for better job or lifestyle, but they probably wouldn't move to a place any less such as India.
I have never been to India myself but I would love to sometime. I have read some articles predict that India will one day become a superpower with all the population and democratic government.

Speaking of seducing the cop, he should actually try his rhetoric out in a REAL situation and write about it, and the book will become a bestseller!

well maybe not... especially if he fails to bail out
or is it already his real experience...