Wednesday, September 10, 2008

WAL-MART

We all shop there, or at least I do, and sometimes I even find myself at Sam’s Club. I remember in high school watching a video about how when Wal-Mart came to small towns, it ended up shutting down all the small town businesses. Many of the small towns were excited to have a Wal-Mart come to town, bringing low prices, however all the business owners in the area found themselves having to give up their stores that had existed for several generations. Left having to sell their stores, many of those small town businesses owners ended up working Wal-Mart in the end because they had nowhere to turn to. Although all of these stories seemed unfortunate, I still continued to shop at Wal-Mart. I was not a small town business owner so it did not really seem to affect my life. After reading more about Wal-Mart, I do not think it is completely evil, but I do disagree with some of its practices. First off, I think that Wal-Mart should actually treat its employees better. Honestly, nobody can make a living on the salary they are paying their employees. I think the people in charge of the Wal-Mart company should share some of their wealth for their employees who are not quite as high up as they are. Second, I believe that Wal-Mart should look for ways to make their goods more affordable, but they should not go to the extremes of sacrificing the well-being of other human beings in extreme working conditions. Although Wal-Mart appears evil to many, it is almost impossible not to shop there since they do draw in customers based upon their low prices. As a consumer, I love Wal-Mart because I am able to save a lot of money there. I would have to say that I have indifferent feelings towards how the Wal-Mart company works, but look forward to learning more about how people agree or disagree with its practices.

2 comments:

Michael said...

I have to agree with you that Walmart is not completely evil. At least since they do provide a benefit to us by giving us more product for less money. But I worked at Walmart this summer and I can say I hated it. Working 40 hours a week to scrub poo off of walls and clean up spills was not worth the 7.50 I was making an hour. But I guess you can run into as many problems as Walmart does if you had a company as big as it is to move all the products it moves.

Xio said...

While I love a low price just as much as the next college student, to say that it is impossible to shop at Walmart because they have low prices is ludicrous! Are we really not willing to sacrifice a few more dollars for a product for the well being of those that only make a few dollars a day? I think more people would be willing to pay a little more if they were aware the issue at hand. I know I'd be willing to as meager as my income is, but how many others are willing to do the same?