Sunday, September 7, 2008

Chapter 2

It was so ironic. I was sitting down drinking a passion tea lemonade at STARBUCKS when I began to read chapter two of our book.

The first sentence is about starbucks coffee and how we play a role as consumers in a larger global political and economic sphere. so, with that in mind I got to thinking: am I participating in the misfortune of Latin American coffee workers?

How can we solve these problems if Starbucks, WalMart, and McDonalds are so unavoidable everyday? 

The best part of the chapter was the "race to the bottom" concept.

WalMart is making goods cheaper for its customers but at the same time harming its workers...because it wants to offer affordable goods.

It was a good chapter and allowed me to understand the concept of free trade!!

its gettin' good you guys...


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hat a coincidence...I did my reading at a starbucks as well..and when I read the first few lines of Chapter 2, I thought of a similar question: Is must be apparent that if coffee pickers in Latin America struggle to make a living, there must be others struggling, in different parts of the world, doing something else right? As the book goes on to describe free trade, I thought to myself... "the more they describe free trade, the more it sounds like globalization" Why? because free trade affects us every day. It deals with what we harbor from national countries, what we want as consumers, and so much more. This seems a lot like what globalization defines in terms of innovation and technology.