Monday, September 8, 2008

Chapter 2

This chapter gives plenty to think about. I have always heard that every dollar you spend is like a vote for the company who produces or distributes that product or service. But this chapter really does make me stop and think about who I voted for today and what that may mean for someone across the globe.

It also brings to light some of my conflicting views. I would say I am in favor of free trade, but not of outsourcing. I like to buy things for low prices, but am not in favor of child labor or sweatshop conditions. If we as a country were to produce the goods we buy exclusively in the United States, could we afford them?

So what is best? Should we continue to allow American companies shop around the world for the cheapest labor and ignore the working conditions of their employees? Should we not trade with countries and companies that do not meet certain standards of pay, working conditions, etc? I do not know what the best solution is. But if I was in charge, I would make big business wear their actions on their sleeves. Make their business practices well known to all and let the people decide. Let the American people vote with our most valued possession: the almighty dollar.

1 comment:

stephanienguyen said...

After reading this chapter it made me think about how our economy effects others in the world too. I agree with you that the large corporations overpowering all others should be responsible for the means they use to become such well-known names. I think a lot of steps have been taken in the past, trying to bring these things to light, but because these companies are such strong influences in the economy and society, the efforts do not make as big an impact as we'd like.

You pointed out that although child labor and sweatshop conditions are a huge issue with these large corporations, the United States would most likely be unable to afford anything else. I agree with you. As it is, some families and individuals struggle to make ends meet. If we as a country were to consume goods only made in the United States I think that unemployment rates would rise and crime and social problems along with it.

I definitely think that the working conditions of the cheap labor employed by these companies should be better than what they are. However, I do not believe that a solution to this problem would be possible to enforce immediately or without harming the economies of different nations.