Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chapter 2

So can we all can say that globalization involves integrating and uniting people all over this world? Well it doesn't seem to be happening really well. I really do believe that there needs to be a bigger effort to help developing countries. I would think that eventually there would be more resources for the world to use when these countries are integrated into a world market. So its then that free trade becomes an issue. After reading Ch.2 I had a much better understanding of how countries can suffer from a seemingly great thing such as free trade. The fact that our want for material things is definitely cause for concern.

This summer I spent two weeks in Durango, Mexico. I had a blast there, but one thing I didn't expect to see was Walmart, actually 3 of them in this one city. I kinda thought it was cool and decided to go grocery shopping there one day. They actually had lower prices than other stores in the area which I expected, but also it wasn't as busy as stores we see in our country. I guess it hasn't caught on quite yet. It wasn't until now that I realize how big of a force Walmart is on this planet. And it was definitely a shock to learn how consumerism affects our world by affecting lives.

No comments: