Friday, September 12, 2008

Argue!

So I just finished reading the 2nd and 3rd chapgers of Thank You For Arguing. Looks like I don't actually do much arguing. Basically, all of my 'arguing' is what Heinrichs considers 'fighting'. But maybe he's right about lots of that stuff. It is completely more useful to argue by means of Cicero's three goals of persuasion than to simply win a fight. I do notice that when arguments (or fights) are won with brute force, one party wins and one party loses, but one, if not both, of the parties end up unhappy. I've probably used each of the three goals on their own, but never have tried our thought about combining them...actually I probably never even realized what I was doing. I guess now I can try to use these ideas in conjunction, even though it might take a bit of thought and focus.

The subject of outsourcing jobs seems like one of those ideas that may be interesting or super cool to know about, but what difference does it make? No one can stop companies from doing it and they aren't ogoing to stop it. I find it quite strange though, that in India, America's geeks and nerds are the popular guys. I can't really picture anything like that. Super weird.

I just don't find outsourcing very exciting. I don't know if I ever will. Unless maybe I have som job and then I lose it because it's given to cheap workers in India or something...

1 comment:

stephanienguyen said...

I thought Heinrichs' chapters over the the tenses and goals of arguing were really interesting too. After reading, I realize I too don't actually put very much thought into most of my arguments, which also turn out to be just "fighting." It makes me wonder if anyone actually does think out their arguments to the fullest. Most people are only interested in "winning" so the idea of getting what you actually want out of an argument, according to Heinrichs, is probably lost on most. Then again, is every argument going to be worth so much manipulation?

I think the issue of outsourcing is too controversial to actually decide whether or not it is more harmful or beneficial to the economy and the spread of globalization. As for the popular geeks and nerds, they deserve respect but maybe American culture isn't as accepting.