Sunday, September 7, 2008

Chapter 2

Chapter 2 of Global Issues, Local Arguments was a very eye opening read. I say eye opening because even with our eyes closed we know the reality of sweatshops and cheap labor, but as a society we choose not to look. I know that I personally have always known that my clothes were made in horrible conditions and being paid for with someone elses uncompensated sweat but that it is easier to just brush the issue aside and not even think about it. Well this chapter definitly got me thinking. I even felt kind of angered after reading it. I made the rash and determined decision to never buy clothes made in another country again. And then I realized that this is almost impossible. In fact, unless I am a millionaire or unless I have some wonderful sewing skills, I am practically forced to buy the products that I do not believe in. The only way to stop such a practice would be for every person in America to boycott such products, and I somehow do not see that happening. I always had that thought that people in other countries needed these jobs. I felt that in some way we were doing them a favor. After reading this chapter I do not feel that we are doing them a favor at all. This chapter brings to light that it is the greedy corporations that are actually creating these conditions. When large corporations demand lower costs or move manufacturing to countries that have to accept lower pay for employment, "these corporations are forcing workers to compete against each other in a race to the bottom". In summary, the cycle brings everyone down. I would love to learn more about this issue and if there is any way to get out of this cycle of injustice.

1 comment:

Blake said...

Wow, yeah I definitely agree. I also always knew but never really paid it any mind. And I also wish that everyone would get together and find out which companies are actually doing harm to countries they have factories in and boycott their products.

But I do think that these sweatshop conditions may actually help some countries, sometimes. Most certainly not in every instance but some economies do largely benefit from these jobs even if they do not pay well. In my opinion, if they are safe and beneficial to the country and its people, let it be.