Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Art of Seduction...I Mean, Rhetoric

First off, I'm digging the new layout of the blog. That's a pretty neat picture up there. Where was it taken, and what's the story behind it?

Okay, back to rhetoric. I have to say, Jay Heinrichs is hilarious. In these two chapters alone, he manages to tie in George Foreman, Cicero, Homer Simpson, Mariah Carey, Aristotle and a variety of other people. The pop culture references paired with his witticisms made for an enjoyable read. I like the fact that he clearly defines what a fight is and what an argument is. I never realized there was that much of a difference. His reference to the "love lab" was a great example of how people who argue can end up happy and people who fight can end up very unhappy. Sometimes, when I "win a fight," I end up more incensed than before! There are a couple more things that I really enjoyed in these chapters, one being Heinrichs' interpretation of seducing a cop. I've never been pulled over before, but I'll keep it mind just in case. The other is his explanation of future-tense or deliberative argumentation. I agree that it is the best kind of approach to take in order to solve a problem or persuade an audience to make a choice.

Moving on to offshore outsourcing. Initially, I was rather against it, because I have an uncle who graduated a few years ago with a bachelors in computer science, and it took him so long to find a suitable job. However, after reading Drezner's piece in particular, I wonder if outsourcing is as bad as some people make it seem. I appreciate how he presents the opposition's perspectives first before refuting them and presenting his own evidence and information to back-up his argument. In his closing paragraphs, he states that the challenge is to "defend it during the lean years of a business cycle." I can understand what he means and agree that people tend to denounce something once it doesn't run as smoothly as before. However, I remain undecided as to whether or not offshore outsourcing is a good thing. Maybe it's one of those things that has to get worse before it gets better...but how long until things are all better?

No comments: