Tuesday, September 9, 2008

2nd Chapter

Agreeing with many others, this chapter is more interesting than the previous. I never really saw free trade in the negative light seen here and it has really given me a better perspective on the whole issue. I never really realized how skewed it was towards those huge corporations. Which in retrospect it seems obvious, therefore making me feel like a huge idiot. But back to the topic at hand. 

The pieces about sweatshop labor and its pervasive use in many large corporations got me thinking. Its funny because its no secret that many companies such as Wal-Mart, Gap, and Nike use sweatshop labor to manufacture their goods. How could they get away with this so easily? Maybe because we let them. We want them to do it. Well at least most americans do. Because really, the problem doesn't seem real enough to convince most of us that we should just pay a few extra dollars to save our fellow man. But until enough of us make it known to these companies that this is what we want these things will continue and the almighty dollar will keep on spinning this world. 

But yea. Good read

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with the fact that the negativity of free trade never occurred to me either until reading Chapter 2. As said in your post about corporations like Wal-Mart and Nike, sweatshop labor is apparent. No matter how much we know about whats being done to fulfill their business and what sells, we tend to not pay that extra dollar and help out a fellow man. It would remain that way because paying that extra dollar would make a difference in any persons finances if you add up for anything you buy...hope that makes sense..

Natalie Groves said...

If we continue to buy goods from these giant corporations what will be the impact of our dollar in ten years?

will working conditions get better or worse?

I agree with you in alot of ways that I'm in favor of free trade, but I am conflicting views.

anyways, I think our class should do some research on outsourcing, sweat shops, and media giants.