Monday, September 8, 2008

Chapter 2 -- Global issues, local arguments

I am finding this book surprisingly interesting. It presents the information very clearly and I have an easy time relating to the subject matter. Globalization is hard to describe in words and for me at first, it was hard to comprehend. It is a phenomenon that has been present in our world for ages, but due to policies and technological advances, has rapidly become a way of life. The chapter starts off talking about buying lattes at Starbucks, which I am guilty of doing. And how that simple purchase makes us "players in the global economy". I had heard of the term fair trade coffee but had known very little about its effects on the lives of other people around the world. It makes me disappointed in myself to know that I am contributing to the under paid coffee pickers in Latin America.
I also thought that the student voice was a great section! I can't even imagine what it would be like to come across a situation like that. And I love the last line she uses, "Nothing will chance if I continue to ifnore the problem"..." as if I'm the only person in the world." I found that statement so powerful because there have been times in my life when I have disregarded the well being of anyone else and made a decision.

No comments: