Monday, September 15, 2008

oh globalization...

On page 25 of Thank You For Arguing Heinrichs talks about the number 3 goal of an argument which is to get an audience to do something or to stop doing something. He refers to the great example of getting young people to vote. And how yes, you may persuade them to a particular candidate, and even better register them as a legal voter, but until REAL challenge is having them show up on election day.
I find it interesting how every issue involving persuasion will fall into one of three categories: blame, values, or choice. Each category also deals with a different tense (past, present and future).

Oh, and I think its obvious that Hernrichs is huge fan of The Simpsons considering a large majority of his examples come from the show's dialog.

It was great to see in The Thirty Little Turtles reading that Indians take pride in helping Americans with their PC's. However, the last time I called the Dell customer service I received little help with my computer because of the language barrier. Not only was it hard to understand the operator, but I felt like he was taking me in circles. Now, I know that is just one example, so I'm being super bias but it was just so frustrating. Although it is good to hear that more women are being employed as call center workers, thus providing them with a decent income and more liberty. This reading had a lot of information to absorb but I did like reading about the advantages to outsourcing and why globalization is not as horrible as it seems.

No comments: