Monday, September 15, 2008

Thank You for Arguing Ch 2 and 3

I really enjoyed these two chapters of thank you for arguing.
In chapter two I agree with the three types of communicating to your audience. The first part of the three steps is to stimulate your audience, then you change their opinion and finally, get the audience to act. I did speech in high school and this part of the chapter made so much sense. I really feel this will also help translate in the writings as well. 
In chapter three it also made alot of sense in terms of argumentation. With the different types of statements (Blame, Values, & Choice)- I think when we start to write our papers this chapter will really help in the type of thesis that we write. My favorite example was the parents who are arguing on weather or not to pay for braces. IT IS SO FUNNY When the father says- ya a bucktooth graduate. Is this the right type or argumentation? I think it incorporates humor and guilt- it was a good example. 

The best advice given in these chapters was- never debate the undebatable. In order to argue effectively you must be able to settle and issue and communicate your thoughts effectively. 

Good first couple chapters!

No comments: