Monday, September 15, 2008

ch.2

So we start learning some real rhetoric now.
Notice that i used the present tense for the preceding sentence.
Now I've actually got to think what tense I'm going to use before I say something, and it's already giving me a headache. The book has been stressing tenses so much, and it keeps mentioning these common sense people such as Aristotle and Cicero, whom I honestly don't really know too much about, except that they are VIPs; very important philosophers. I have also learned the three tools; blame, values, and choice. Blame is past, values are present, and choice is future. I understand the basic concept, but I have been having a hard time figuring out when and how I can actually apply these rhetoric in real life. Would I have enough time or would I even be able to think of these rules in real situations? It seems like I have already been applying many of these rules unconsciously in my daily life.

I am a little bit surprised that the author says in the book that he assumes that most people out there, if not everyone, doesn't know rhetoric. Is rhetoric something that important? Then why is not everybody learning it?

3 comments:

Natalie Groves said...

Rhetoric is VERY important. In fact, this University has a whole department devoted to Rhetoric. People know what rhetoric is and how its used, but don't know that it is rhetoric. Like when someone is arguing with their parents...it's rhetoric or when you see a campaign for Barack Obama...that's rhetoric. People see and use rhetoric everyday.

But good observations!!

atape said...

Rhetoric is very important! I think that the author knows that people know what rhetoric is, but I think he thinks we should use it in our everyday language more. Perhaps the purpose of us learning rhetoric is so we can practice it and maybe apply it in real life situations unconsciously, as you were saying. I guess Heinrichs’ man point is that rhetoric is something we use daily and it comes in handy when we want to persuade someone. After all, on the cover it says WHAT ARISTOTLE, LINCOLN, AND HOMER SIMPSON CAN TELL US ABOUT THE ART OF PERSUASION.

Unknown said...

I agree with you Al! I love reading Heinrichs book because I love the way he can relate to everyday situations. But when it comes time for me to argue a point, will I be ready with the tools I learned. I think that it would take MAJOR practice to ever learn everything he mentions in the book. Like I said, I find it very interesting, however, I just hope I can use the knowledge I am learning!