Monday, September 15, 2008

Thoughts on the Outsorcing Bogeyman

I found that The Outsourcing Bogeyman by Daniel W. Drezner was an interesting take on globalization, the first of our assigned readings to enumerate all the good aspects of it. I found it interesting that all of the statistics that he presented showed that although we may have lost American jobs to outsourcing in one area, the financial benefits to that company enable it to create higher paying jobs here. One thing that I find troublesome is the fact that with the right statistics, you can get them to say whatever you want. I felt that some of his stats were simply numbers he was throwing out to help prove his point. For example, he said: “…Although 70,000 computer programmers lost their jobs between 1999 and 2003, more that 115,000 computer software engineers found higher-paying jobs during the same period”. Maybe I’m interpreting this excerpt incorrectly, but to me it’s saying that it’s okay that these computer-programmers lost their jobs because higher paying jobs were created for engineers. The rich get richer so it doesn’t matter that the poor lose their jobs? I don’t see how that’s supposed to even out.
Other than that, I found some of his points enlightening on the other aspects of globalization then those I previously failed to find out more about.

In chapter’s 2 and 3 of Thank You For Arguing, I found it extremely interesting that there are different tenses and techniques of arguing associated with the Three Core Issues associated with arguing.

No comments: