Saturday, September 20, 2008

chapters 2-3 of "thank you for arguing"

Boy...was this a very compelling reading. I found myself reading lines over and over again because the author really makes you think about the situation. I think the hardest thing for me to defer was the difference between an argument and fight. He states that an argument gets people to do what you want, and a fight is an argument until you reach agreement...They both seem like ambiguous definitions which was really hard for me to differentiate situations. 

He also talks about the basic devices to determine the outcome of an argument. These are right to the point and is taken into account on any kind of situation: setting your personal goal, and setting your goals for your audience. Though, the author does not mention the connection between Cicero's three goals for persuading people and these devices. I think it is assumed that the two have a connection. I think that Cicero's goals ( change their mood, change their opinion, and get them to act) are accomplished once the basic devices are accomplished. 

No comments: