Friday, September 19, 2008

Immigration Here and Abroad


When I took rhetoric 306 last fall, our topic for the whole semester was immigration, so it's kind of interesting to revisit it and all of its complexities. In just these few pages alone, the author touches upon several of the hot-button issues such as border control and amnesty. I liked that she talked about the illegal immigration problem in the United States as well as the problems in some other developed nations such as France. I found the bit about banning Muslim headscarves in France really interesting. Here's an article about it. I also liked how the author presents opinions from the "sender" countries, Mexico in particular. Residents in Santa Ana Del Valle claim that those who come back from the United States are corrupt with the American lifestyle. I had never thought of it that way. However, there was a particular selection that really caught my attention, the student voice piece by Esperanza Borboa. I felt really shocked to discover that some employers of illegal immigrants will knowingly call Immigration at the most opportune times to benefit their company and themselves. Illegal or not, it's disgusting that employers are so consumed with greed and feel like they need to withhold the meager earnings they pay by getting rid of their employees in such a vicious way.

No comments: