Monday, September 15, 2008

New Perspective On Outsourcing

“Trading Jobs” in Global Issues, Local Arguments went along well with how globalization closely affected my family. For the past couple blogs I have been talking about how my mother’s “stable” job got transported to India. Ironically, that was the main focus of the section, offshore outsourcing. The beginning of Chapter 3 asks a powerful question about the issue of outsourcing on a national level. It asks “should Americans support or oppose the movement of ‘white collar’ jobs and manufacturing jobs to developing countries?” Before this class, given my bad experience with outsourcing, I would have said they should most definitely oppose. But as I began to read further into outsourcing through Global Issue, Local Arguments, I see why advocates of outsourcing are in favor. Its’ not that outsourcing isn’t tragic for those Americans directly affected by it, but the benefits of it seem far more attractive from the outside looking in. I’m not saying I’m for or against outsourcing but I do see the positives and negatives from both those who oppose and those who support it. The table presented from the National International Labour Organisation about average yearly wages for the same jobs in America compared to India shocked me. The wages are anywhere from 6 to almost 10 times less in India than America for the same jobs!!! And you wonder why companies are rushing over seas?

No comments: