Sunday, September 21, 2008

Thoughts on Immigration

I thought the reading for Tuesday was really interesting. It brings up the debate America has been having for years: are Latin American immigrants good for the economy by providing cheap labor? Or are they aliens breaking the law and taking American jobs? I think the even if we do need them, the way employers take advantage of them is crazy! I never knew that employers would call La Migra on its employees when they had already done all the work and payday was coming up! Thanks just evil!
I’m interested in the different policies and proposals that were suggested in the text. I like the idea that Guest worker policies would enable both legal and illegal immigrants 3 year visas to work in the United States. I think that it would give us a lot more control over what’s going on, and what’s passing through Mexico into the United States. I don’t think that there’s any point of trying to stop immigration, everyone wants to be a part of the American dream and people are willing to do the impossible to make that happen. The best thing we can do is try and protect them or we’d simply be supporting a modern day slavery on our own soil.

No comments: