Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Globalization: A bad thing?

The first chapter of Global Issues, Local Arguments made me think about globalization in a different way. I have never before thought of globalization having any negative characteristics. My views of globalization have always been much like those of the supporters mentioned in the first chapter. The "sharing of knowledge ad technologies" and the "improvement in the standard of living" this knowlege has created, has always seemed to greatly outway any negative impacts globalization could have. After reading this chapter, I have contrastly learned that there are a number of negative aspects. One critic of globalization, David Korten, believes that the increase of economic growth and consumption are not beneficial to the entirety of the world. He instead believes that reducing consumption, perserving the environment and working for social justice are the key elements that will help end world hunger and poverty. Another critic, Gustavo Esteva, also has interesting views on globalization. He believes that "global forces have threatened local spaces". I agree with this to some degree. If we are tampering with people and areas of the world we do not understand, then how are we benefiting them? On the other hand, being open minded there is no way that I can completely agree that people should only think and act locally. Looking at both extremes on the issue, I can honestly say that I am a moderate critic. I believe that globalization has many benefits, but I also believe that there is a severe "unequal distribution of benefits" being seen around the world. I feel that in order to make a solid opinion I need to learn more about the pros and cons of globalization.

No comments: