Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Meaning of Globalization

I can honestly say that coming into this class, I had very limited knowledge of globalization and all of its related issues. To put it more plainly, I had no idea what it meant. However, I found that after reading the first chapter in Johnson's book, the term globalization is not so foreign after all. It's something that I encounter and hear of on a daily basis, but now I know its fancy name. Globalization encompasses not just the internet but also business, culture, economics, and so forth. It's the ever-expanding ways of worldwide communications and interactions. I enjoyed the two exploration exercises the chapter had to offer, because they really got me to thinking. I answered at least half the quiz questions incorrectly and was genuinely surprised at many of the answers. In a way, I felt ashamed that I didn't know the right answers. After getting acquainted with all of the various definitions and view points on globalization, I look forward to a class discussion to hear more about it.

No comments: