Monday, November 10, 2008

The Amazing SpiderAladdinMan

This is awesome! Admittedly, I have heard about this before. I don't read comic books, but love superheroes. Anyway, I just did not expect to see this in a textbook! This Indian Spiderman illustrates a good point. Anyway, culture is not completely inherited. You inherit the culture of your people and family but it would not be natural if you passed on the exact same culture you were given. The world would stand still. learning would not happen, advances would not be made. We would still be grunting and snorting and in loin cloths. I guess that doesn't relate to spiderman so much. Here's how I got there! I think that culture is inhereited or learned from the generation before. But as we live, learn, and grow throughout our lifetime, our outlook on life changes. Some things lose relevance, and new things are created and adopted as traditions. For instance: my parents used to have real christmas trees with real candles on them. These would often catch on fire. Nowadays we have both fake and real trees and they have electric lights on them. That is a tradition that has changed but is still sort of the same. On my tree, I have LED lights that use less electricity and produce less heat. A small change I know, but that may change again some day. Maybe in a few years we will have some reason mot to have christmas trees at all. Who knows? The thing I do know is that you are not bringing a real christmas tree into my house with flaming candles on it. I would like to live through the night. So, for my parents and me, super heroes are role models for little kids. They teach us important life lessons through their triumphs and shortfalls. Why should it be a bad thing for little kids in India to borrow a story from another country to teach them life lessons in an interesting and captivating way. Why shouldnt they pass those stories they enjoyed to their children if they are a good thing?

No comments: