Monday, September 29, 2008

Immigration - Weekend Readings

After reading this weekend’s readings, I have mixed feelings about immigration. I am not sure if it is our responsibility to help people assimilate. At times, I feel like we should encourage assimilation, so people can feel welcomed to our country and make a smooth transition. Other times, I feel like many people who immigrate should at least learn the language prior to coming to the country. It might sound harsh, but it must be extremely difficult for people to come to the country who do not know anything about the language. How are you able to get the basic necessities without learning the language? As far as it being the government’s responsibility, I do not think they should have complete control over immigration nor is it their duty to help people assimilate. I feel like people who want to assimilate will and people who do not, well, should not come to a country that they do not want to be a part of. As far as the whole coyote thing, I am not sure how people can be so desperate to leave the country and fall into such a trap. I would rather give up my unhappiness than risk my life. I cannot distinguish if the author was trying to be comical in that section of the book. “Do not trust those who offer to take you to ‘the other side’ and ask you to drive a car or to take or carry a package for them.”

No comments: